Friday, March 21, 2008

Piper?

Last night our youth group met downstairs in the fireside room.

Apparently, it's become rather predictable what that means. So, the question arose: "Let me guess, John Piper?"

Everytime we're in the lower fireside room, we're watching a video. Normally it IS John Piper. Last night... well, kind of. Our youth pastor was talking about the John Piper book he read/is reading (not sure which). The title was something along "50 Reasons Christ Came and Died."

It's got me thinking, though. Whenever "Christian" holidays come along, I don't always take the time to think about the significance. For instance, today was Good Friday. The day we remember Jesus' death. Being crucified on the cross for our sins.

The thing that was said last night that stood out the most for me was this: Jesus' sacrifice didn't make God's wrath just disappear. God's rath was spent in Jesus' death. The wrath meant for us was put on Jesus.

This is a little bit of a different subject, but try to follow.

Luke 2:25-32
25 And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Spirit was upon him.26 And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ.27 And he came in the Spirit into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to carry out for Him the custom of the Law,28 then he took Him into his arms, and blessed God, and said,29 "Now Lord, Thou dost let Thy bond-servant depart In peace, according to Thy word;30 For my eyes have seen Thy salvation,31 Which Thou hast prepared in the presence of all peoples,32 A light of revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of Thy people Israel."(NAS)

My question is: "Are we always as eager for Jesus' second coming as Simeon was for His first?" We should be.

I Jn 3:2-3
2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we shall be. We know that, when He appears, we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him just as He is.3 And everyone who has this hope } fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.(NAS)

2 comments:

Justine said...

(Sorry as this comment is long overdue. I keep forgetting. Truly sorry!) As weird as this may sound, I truly am eager for Jesus' coming. In fact, I am looking forward to it. It's a little bizarre. I don't know why I anticipate it. Probably because I know life is better in our real home -heaven.

Eric said...

Sometimes I have mixed feelings on it. Yes, I want Him to come back and fix everything. Yes I want to spend eternity with Him. And yeah, it will be a far better life than now. But there are other times when I feel like there are things to do, parts of my life I want to complete before that happens. I sometimes have a hard time getting past those thoughts.